Hi, and welcome to the Florida Creativity Centers’ blog. We want to talk about Creativity in Business (and in non-profits, and government agencies, and of course, in education).
Our core message and theme is that Creativity is a SKILL that can be learned and can be consciously applied to produce intended results. It’s not an inborn talent that you either have or don’t have – EVERYBODY is creative in their own unique way!
So our aim is to create a community forum to showcase and discuss specific tools, practices, and attitudes that foster intentional creativity on demand.
Let’s begin with the foundation question: Do we need Creativity in business (and all the others listed above) today? Let’s see:
- A 2010 IBM poll of 1,500 CEOs identified creativity as the number one leadership competency of the future.
- A 2012 Adobe study on creativity shows 8 in 10 people feel that unlocking creativity is critical to economic growth, yet a striking minority – only 1 in 4 people believe they are living up to their own creative potential.
- From the Harvard Business Blogs:
- 12 May 2009: ‘It’s the single biggest error firms make in times of crisis: repeating the past. When the world around you is undergoing discontinuous change, repeating yesterday’s mistakes is the quickest path to decay and dissolution.’
- 11 May 2009: ‘Today’s turbulent times make mastering innovation a competitive necessity.’
- 8 April 2009: ‘Innovation has never been more important.’
- According to John Maeda, President, Rhode Island School of Design: “…intuition and creativity are fast becoming the only differentiating factors among competitors.”
In other words, “Duh!!!”
So let’s open the conversation.